1. Exercise regularly. It is particularly beneficial to exercise outdoors (yes, even when it’s cold; just bundle up properly) and in the morning so that your body can get exposed to the morning light. Exercise releases those feel-good hormones (endorphins) and will help you feel better.
2. Eat a “clean” diet. Limit simple carbohydrates and sugary drinks. Eat wholesome food and drink plenty of water during the day.
3. Connect with others. Have lunch with a friend, join a book club, or volunteer in your community. According to the Mayo Clinic, social connections relieve stress, provide support, and build resilience.
4. Try new things. Start a new hobby, add a different exercise to your workout routine, or travel to a place you have never visited before.
5. Take breaks. Give yourself permission to take a break from work, your electronic devices, and other responsibilities. Even small things like taking a stroll after dinner or relaxing in your spa at the start or end of your day can make a big difference.
Here’s an example of what might an ideal winter day look like, one that can beat off the winter blues or SAD:
Wake up from a good night sleep, have a healthy breakfast, and then go out for a morning walk outside. Enjoy your spa before getting your work day started. Try a new route to work and then invite a colleague whom you have not had a chance to get to know very well out to lunch. On the way home from work, stop off at the gym or try a new yoga class. Then have a glass of wine with your partner while dinner is cooking and brainstorm what trips you would like to take in the near future. Armchair traveling is so much fun! After a nutritious dinner, enjoy the relaxing benefits of your hot tub. Then read or watch a movie and as you prepare for sleep think of the wonderful day that you had. Tomorrow will be even better! Sweet dreams.
Originally posted at https://www.calderaspas.com/